Illuminate. Discover. Change.


Low angle shot of old forest with sunlight.Applicants may submit an application to our Institute, an SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) approved school. Our Admissions Committee will determine if the prospective student meets admission requirements.

An F1 student can maintain their status for as long as they continue to be enrolled in a full time educational program. Once courses are completed, the program can be extended on a year-to-year basis, if applied for, in order to continue and complete the clinical part of the training.

On campus employment for F-1 students – CPT (curricular practical training)

All F-1 students in active status may work for 20 hours per week during the school term. You may ask for and receive a letter from the PDSO for approval to work and then apply for a social security number and driver’s license. The F-1 student may work full time when school is not in session or during annual break. The work must take place at the school or at an educationally affiliated off campus location.

If an international student wants to work off campus, they must request approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The student must receive a recommendation from PDSO and the Chair(s) of the LP Program. The student would then file Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization with USCIS. You may not begin employment until you receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This employment, like on campus employment, is limited to 20 hours per week.

As an F-1 student you can receive work authorization for training related to your studies; Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT). The student must be enrolled at the Institute as an F-1 student for one full academic year to be eligible for either type of practical training. Students may begin to see patients prior to finishing one year of academic coursework. A recommendation from the Chair of the Admissions Committee based on an evaluation of the stuident’s prior clinical experience is required and needs to be approved by the Chair(s) of LP Program.

CPT must relate to psychoanalysis and the experience must be a part of our program. The work must take place at our school or at an educationally affiliated program. (e.g. an off campus research project). If a student has one year of full-time CPT, the student is no longer eligible for OPT for that same program of study.

OPT can be applied for before completing the academic portion of our program for up to 12 months and must relate to psychoanalysis. A student must have an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) before beginning to work. To obtain an EAD, our PDSO will provide a new Form I-20 indicating recommendation for employment, and the student must then submit a Form I-765 to USCIS. Your EAD card will come from USCIS and with other work authorizations you are restricted to a 20-hour work-week while school is in session. If the student has not used any of the 12 month OPT prior to the completion of coursework, the student can use the up to 12 months OPT following completion of coursework. Once the post completion OPT period is concluded, unless the F1 student changes their status, they must leave the U.S. within 60 days. A student who has completed their 12 month OPT may not work prior to departure.


All students who earn income in the US must file taxes by April 15th. You must report income from wages, scholarship or grants, stocks, lottery winnings and other types of non-wage income. Taxes are filed through the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). A student can file with a Social Security Number (SSN) or an individual taxpayer identification number.

CONTACT US for further information.

Share This Page: